- Center information
- Facilities and Procedures
The Department of Laboratory Medicine has one of the best clinical laboratories in Northern Kerala, equipped with the latest facilities and experienced pathologists, handling all routine diagnostic tests to specialized tests. Our lab realizes criticality of laboratory investigations to medical diagnosis and treatment and is committed to bring quality testing for the patient care. We have several sub specialties providing a wide range of laboratory investigations for various diseases spanning across all branches of medicine. These include clinical chemistry, clinical pathology, cytology, hematology, histopathology, immunohistochemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology and virology. Each of these specialities are manned by experienced staff who are supervised by a team of consultants.
Facilities & Procedures
Provides round the clock services, handles approximately 1500 routine tests and 150 special tests daily with a turnaround time of 2 ½ hours. All panic results are intimated immediately to the concerned staff.
This section is equipped with
- Fully Automated Dade Dimension RXL and RXL MAX
- Ion Selective Electrolyte Analysers for Estimation of Sodium, Potassium, Lithium & Calcium
- Blood Gas Analyser
- Advanced chemiluminescence based Hormone / Tumour Marker assays.
Histopathology and Cytology
- Surgical Pathology Unit Handles around 3500 specimens/year catering to all clinical specialties in the hospital- maintains an average turnaround time of 5 days.Frozen section facilities for intra operative diagnosis- report issued within 20 mns.
- Renal pathology unit offering full renal diagnostic service- both native and transplant kidney biopsies- reported within 24 hours.
- Immunohistochemistry lab for determination of tumour markers.
- Diagnostic cytology service- both gynaec and non- gynaec cytologies- average turnaround time of 2 days.
- Handles an average daily through put of 300 samples using
- Automated 5-part Differential Hematology Analyzer- Beckman Coulter
- Automated 5-part Differential Hematology Analyzer- MEK 7222K
- Automated 3-part Differential Hematology Analyzer- ABX micros 60
- Lena ESR analyzer
- Performs peripheral smear & Bone marrow smear examination with the aid of special stains.
- This section handles about 1500 samples/ month and provides following services:
- Staining procedures for bacterial, fungal and mycobacterial studies are performed routinely and panic results are informed immediately to the concerned staff.
- Provides all types of culture studies on blood, various body fluids and exudates. This section is equipped with:
- Ø BACT ALERT blood and sterile fluid culture system for early results
- Ø Fully automated Siemens Dade Walkaway analyzer for identification of organisms and antimicrobial drug sensitivity
- Virological diagnostic tests are performed using automated ELISA analyzer and rapid card tests.
- Various serological tests are performed with high accuracy.
- The department plays an active role in infection control policies of the hospital.
- For routine analysis of urine, stool, semen and miscellaneous body fluids.